Hey! I realized I never posted these two. Sometime this winter (which is still ongoing as I type this during a snow day in March), the seventh issue of The Under Review came out. I love sports lit, and this is a great sports lit mag. Here are “I Always Coached Point Guards to Dribble with a Purpose” and “Aluminum Gods of ’81.” Fun backstory: The basketball one started in a free Kenyon Review workshop for teacher-writers with Ross Gay. Huge thanks for Kenyon Review and Ross Gay both for the opportunity and the prompt that led to the poem. Shout-out to Leigh Chadwick for boost on the baseball one. It started as a collaboration, and she said something like, dude that’s already a poem, just go submit it. Thanks to the editors at The Under Review!
Two New Poems in Paddler Press
Okay, so I said I’d update this here blog function occasionally, and I’m a man of my word. I had a couple of publications in January. I love Paddler Press, an awesome, generally nature-focused lit mag out of Canada. I’m happy to have two in their latest issue, Silence, Paddler Press Volume 7. You can download it at the website, but I also recommend ordering a print copy. It’s gorgeous and Luna the Wonder Pup-approved.
2022 in Review
Like most writers, I share my work and talk shop mostly on Twitter, but at the end of 2022, that place smells a bit like food you left in the fridge too long. I’ll still check in there, but I’ll also (inconsistently, I’m sure) make more use of this blog function on my website. So, since I posted the year-in-review thread writers are apparently supposed to do on Twitter, I’ll recreate it here too. It was a good year for my writing getting out into the world, and here are my poems etc. published in 2022:
- Thanks to the Green Mountain Club for their poetry contest. Technically 2021 but the poem posted in early 2022.
- Couple of baseball ones now on HAD. Also check out this great post by the artist who made the great painting above my poems.
- About cows but not about cows one in trampset.
- Three basketball poems in Words & Sports.
- Yes, this poem in Moist Poetry Journal legitimately started with a Rick Springfield license plate holder I saw on Evergreen Road.
- Variant Lit had their inaugural Pizza Prize, and I’m happy to have had a finalist poem in the mix.
- Thanks to my friend Jared Beloff (buy his book out in Feb. 2023) for nominating this one for Olney’s poets-nominating-poets series.
- Speaking of Jared, he also brought me along for this interview series that pairs writers. Told you he’s a good dude.
- On the topic of poet friends, Leigh Chadwick (buy her books) and I collaborated on some poems this year. I think they’re all out there somewhere now, but here is one in Words & Sports and another in Heavy Feather Review.
- My first Pushcart nomination came for this one in Whale Road Review. (Big thanks to the editors!)
- One out in December on HAD, and for what it’s worth, probably the most popular of all these over on Twitter.
- Thanks to Dwayne Hayes at KickstART Farmington for letting me do some blogging about art.
- Thanks also to KickstART for letting me do the Wednesday Night Sessions show. I still can’t believe all these incredible writers agreed to record episodes!
- A couple more interviews: one on the My Bad Poetry podcast and another in The New Thing newsletter.
Thanks to all the editors and hosts and guests on WNS. My apologies if I missed anything, and thanks for reading (and watching/listening)!
2021 in Review
Hey! I did one of those Twitter threads linking everything published this year. Enjoy. https://twitter.com/MitchNobis/status/1469733994006777865
Also, a huge thanks to Amorak Huey and Leigh Chadwick for the love in this interview. (If you’re crunched for time, near the end, Leigh asked Amorak who should have a book deal but doesn’t, and he said me, which I still can’t believe but appreciate immensely.) https://www.olneymagazine.com/features/Interview-with-amorak-huey
I haven’t updated this website in ages, so this is overdue: An enormous thank you to Nurture Literary and editor-in-chief Colleen Rothman for nominating my poem “Fungus” for Best of the Net 2021! https://nurtureliterary.com/awards
The Wednesday Night Sessions reading series has gone virtual, like everything else in a pandemic world. You can find the episodes at KickstART Farmington’s YouTube page here. Enjoy some great guests & literature!
Hey, my yet-to-be book came close again. Earlier this year, it was announced as a finalist for the Wheelbarrow Books Poetry Prize. Thanks for all involved for reading my manuscript, and congrats to Daniel Lassell for winning!
A million thanks to the editors of Exposition Review for nominating “Descent” for 2019’s Best of the Net! http://expositionreview.com/2019/11/wonder-literary-prize-nominations/
News! I was a runner-up for The 2019 Hopper Poetry Prize. As a basketball fan, I’m thrilled to make the final four. As a one-time basketball coach, I make the manuscript run sprints and shoot free throws until it finds a publisher.